søndag 10. februar 2013

Valdor Tank Hunter

Well I collect, I build, I convert, I paint and I play... but I don't take pictures! And without pictures, there isn't much point in posting to the blog! However, I'm kicked myself in the rear end and pushed myself to start working on that part, and even if the pictures aren't good I'll just have to work with that, learning a little - little by little.



Anyway, back to my Catachan Jungle Fighters. I have a quite a few models to catch up with in terms of presenting them, and I'll spread that out a bit so I can get some regular activity on this page in the weeks and months to come (while learning to take pictures). First up is the first super-heavy I finished for my army, the Valdor Tank Hunter.



I should have applied some dark shadow before adding the tracks and weapon cover, as it turned out I never really got  good enough access to these area to shade them in. Furthermore, I killed a lot of the model's contrast by applying too much flat varnish. Disappointing, but good lessons learned. I'm still reasonably happy with the end result.



Since it was such a rare, technologically unique vehicle, I wanted a Tank Commander that really stood out. So in addition to kit bashing a bionically enhanced tank commander I also added a Servo Skull.


3 kommentarer:

  1. It's looking great, have you been using the FW masterclass book at all? I found that a massive help, especially with getting my head around using varnish for altering the paint surface.
    And because they use varnish throughout the process the model is so well protected, you don't tend to need to go back and add a varnish at the end.

    The commander looks great, nice little touch, especially with the nod and a wink to the time old tank commander and sword pic that circulates the web.


    I see your using a light box of some sort - how many lights do you have shining into it? by the looks of the shadows the lights are aimed directly at the model and not diffused. If you point them through the white material or cover them with some tracing paper it will give a softer and more global light. I hate taking pictures as well - it's a pain in ass!

    SvarSlett
  2. Thanks for the tip! I'm having a buddy come over next weekend to help me with my 'rig' and teach me some basics on photography - while at the same time catching up on getting pictures of my projects!

    Yeah, I use the Forgeworld book (as well as other references) quite a bit - and the reason I finish with some flat varnish is mostly to tie down the pigments. However, I just got sloppy on this one (actually, I sprayed without proper lighting, so I didn't catch how heavy a layer I was applying until too late), and paid the price.

    However, lesson learned; my next projects turned out much better (a Stormsword and two Stormlords, pictures coming soon).

    SvarSlett
  3. Ha ha... been there myself - that's why I try and avoid varnishing after.

    Where are the next lot of pictures?

    SvarSlett